NYPD Officer does an AMA on /r/guns. Mindblown.
- Mebbeatroaway: The NYPD offers once a month training for members to use, on their own time. However, all that is done during these sessions are the same basic dumbed down qualification exercises. You will only receive real help if you outright fail. Missed 12 out of fifty @ 7 yards? GOOD ENOUGH!
- Mebbeatroaway: Our tactical training is a joke and maybe ten people in a department of 34K have had Active Shooter training
- comment: Active Shooter training refers to stopping mass-killings (think Virginia Tech)
- Mebbeatroaway: Any average CCW citizen who practices more then twice a year pretty much has most of the department beat in terms of training.
- Mebbeatroaway: Some of our members NEVER take their service weapons out of their gun belts, and never carry ANYTHING off duty. I've seen people with 3 years on have brown rusted rear sights. Some never clean their weapons unless forced to by the firearms unit.